My guest, Alex Zaphiris MD treats addiction by healing the brain using holistic, Integrative Medicine approaches. She is a board-certified physician in Family Medicine, Addiction Medicine and Integrative Medicine, trained in neuro-nutrient, homeopathic and Osteopathic therapies.
Listen on iTunes. (And while you’re at it, why not Subscribe to the show!)
A graduate of UCSF, Dr. Zaphiris completed a 2-year fellowship in Integrative Medicine with Dr. Andrew Weil and a year-long neuro-nutrient training program with Julia Ross. She is fully trained as an Osteopathic Physician and uses manual medicine in her practice. She also completed 5 years training in classical and clinical homeopathy. Dr. Zaphiris is a member of the Alliance for Addiction Solutions and sees patients for integrative medicine, primary care and addiction recovery in Marin County, California.
After seeing the opiate epidemic soar out of control and how it has affected close family members and friends, as well as millions of other Americans, Dr. Zaphiris developed Recovery Superstar, a 12 week online education and support program for people in recovery from opiate addiction. Recovery Superstar applies the latest advances in neuroplasticity and integrative mental health to help people with addiction heal their brains and successfully live a drug-free life.
In this interview you will learn:
- What is Addiction Medicine?
- What’s the difference between addiction and self medication?
- What role does gut health and inflammation play in depression and anxiety?
- What role does food play?
- The best breakfast to eat for someone wanting to beat anxiety, depression and addiction.
- She’s a doctor who specializes in treating addictions holistically. What does she find to be the best approach?
- Is there a difference in the brain chemistry of someone who has addictions and someone who doesn’t?
- What can parents do to prevent drug use in their teens?
- What causes people to relapse and start using again?
- The CDC has classified prescription drug abuse as an epidemic. What kinds of drugs are they talking about?
- What’s the standard treatment for substance abuse?
- What missing in most addiction recovery programs?
- What is Recovery Superstar and how is it different from other programs?
- Does this neuroscience approach help with other addictions?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
To get more Kids in Crisis content sent directly to your device as they become available, you can subscribe on iTunes!
Also, if you enjoyed this show and found it to be helpful, please leave an honest review on iTunes (Here’s a quick tutorial for how to leave a review via your computer or phone). Reviews are greatly appreciated (I read them), and they help with the ratings of this show so it can be discovered more easily by those who would benefit from it. When you do leave your review, feel free to share your URL there so I can thank you.
Lastly, if you have a question or a suggestion for a topic or expert for a future show, please contact me here. Cheers, and thanks again!
This episode of Kids in Crisis originally aired on BoldBraveMedia.