Food and optimal nutrition are crucial for your child’s brain and body to grow and thrive but most pediatricians don’t learn about food or nutrition in medical school. That’s where today’s guest, pediatric nutrition expert Judy Converse MPH RD LD comes in…
Judy helps repair medically-fragile children from the inside out with nutrient diagnostic testing and by changing their foods and nutrition. These kids have serious conditions that have been resistant to traditional medical treatments such as autism, Down’s syndrome, severe allergies, seizure disorders or they are being tube fed. They have been to all sorts of specialists, places like the Mayo Clinic, their local experts at Children’s hospitals, but they are still not well, not thriving.
Listen on iTunes. (And while you’re at it, why not Subscribe to the show!)
Judy says she often meets families who feel the health care system has failed them, that the “experts” didn’t help. By working with their doctors and using her integrative nutritional approach she has helped kids avoid serious surgeries and wean off of psychiatric drugs to not only heal, but to thrive. She discusses the dangers of GMO and GMO-laced infant formula for gut/brain health, and the role that food plays in the psychological functioning and behaviors that can lead to psychiatric diagnoses in kids.
In this interview you will learn:
- How becoming a Mom opened her eyes to the need for her to specialize in becoming a pediatric nutrition expert.
- Why pediatricians often miss growth and nutritional impairments until kids are failing to thrive at a 5% weight-to-age ratio.
- Why every kid deserves getting a complete nutritional assessment if they are struggling with frequent illnesses, gut, weight, mood and anxiety issues.
- Special concerns about the popular GAP diet. While it can do many good things, why it is a fail for some kids.
- While it’s common for kids to get sick when they go to school or daycare, it is not normal and kids can be healthier.
- While doctors and allergists are more likely to identify an allergy and give them an EpiPen, they often do not identify why kids developed the allergy and know how to reverse it.
- How Judy identifies the root causes of gut, food and elimination issues, allergies and growth impairments and intervenes to reverse them.
- The high incidence of gluten sensitivity in the U.S., why, and how it affects our health.
- Why avoiding toxins in your child or while you’re pregnant is critical for your child’s healthy brain and body development.
- The dangers of GMO foods and the damage they do to the gut biome.
- How research is discovering that GMO foods are a primary puzzle piece in the autistic epidemic.
- Tips for parents to get and keep your kids healthy.
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
To get more Kids in Crisis content sent directly to your device as they become available, you can subscribe on iTunes!