In this show, host Beth Greer discusses the link between symptoms of ADHD and behavior problems in children and Lyme disease with psychotherapist Lori Dennis, author of Lyme Madness: Rescuing My Son Down the Rabbit Hole of Chronic Lyme Disease.
Listen on iTunes. (And while you’re at it, why not Subscribe to the show!)
Children and teens tend to be called lazy, crazy, and unruly. Or they might have attention issues, anxiety, depression, mood swings or learning disabilities. What if they might actually be ill with Lyme disease?
Lori Dennis is a psychotherapist in private practice in Toronto, Canada who learned firsthand about the complicated trek from “no answers” to diagnosis and continued recovery when her son became ill with chronic Lyme disease. Through her practice, she supports Chronic Lyme Disease sufferers and wrote Lyme Madness to help others navigate this arduous path from illness to wellness.
In this interview, you will learn:
- What is chronic Lyme disease and how does it present itself?
- How are children affected by this illness?
- How was her son affected?
- Why is chronic Lyme disease a ‘madness’?
- Why is is that mainstream doctors cannot or will not help Lyme sufferers?
- Many undiagnosed Lyme sufferers are often referred to a psychiatrist as a first medical consultation. As a registered psychotherapist, why does she think this happens?
- Why is Lyme disease so difficult to diagnose?
- How is Lyme transmitted?
- In most places, medical doctors give you a 3 week course of antibiotic treatment. Does that work?
- What are some holistic approaches that help? Supplements? Herbal remedies?
- It is very difficult to get a diagnosis for chronic Lyme disease in the United States. What is the situation like in Canada?
- What does she think needs to be done to help Lyme patients?
- What can we do to promote awareness of lyme disease?
Resource: For a list of Lyme literate doctors check out this website: www.ILADS.org
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
To get more Kids in Crisis content sent directly to your device as they become available, you can subscribe on iTunes!