Today, I interview Nicole Beurkens, PhD on Beyond Medication: effective solutions for developmental and mental health challenges. Dr. Beurkens is a unique combination of psychologist, nutritionist, and special education teacher. including attention, anxiety, mood, and behavior symptoms in children.
Listen on iTunes. (And while you’re at it, why not Subscribe to the show!)
For the past 20 years, my guest, Nicole Beurkens, PhD has evaluated and treated a wide range of learning, mood, and behavior challenges including autism spectrum disorder, ADHD, anxiety, mood disorders, brain injury, and other neurodevelopmental conditions. She holds a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, masters degrees in Special Education and Nutrition, and is a Board Certified Nutrition Specialist.
Dr. Nicole is the Founder and Director of Horizons Developmental Resource Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she and her team specialize in non-medication approaches to treatment for children and young adults. She is also the best-selling author of Life Will Get Better.”
During this interview you will learn:
- Why she feels it is so important for parents to explore treatment options beyond medication?
- What are the most common underlying issues that cause attention, anxiety, mood, and behavior challenges in children?
- What are some of the nutritional issues she sees in these children, and what kinds of approaches can parents take to address them?
- Which mineral deficiencies impact mood and behavior?
- How sleep impacts symptoms in these children? (Hint: 25-40% of kids with ADHD have an undiagnosed sleep problem!)
- How does movement (physical activity) play a role in these kinds of challenges?
- What/who do you think is the most important resource for a child with these kinds of challenges?
THANK YOU FOR LISTENING!
To get more Kids in Crisis content sent directly to your device as they become available, you can subscribe on iTunes!